Today was a busy day of planting. We brought up a huge bag of self-serve compost and nine and a half bags of soil as well as some vermiculite to lighten the soil mix. We used it all and still need to fill a few large fabric bags. I also planted some corn, cucumbers, scallopini and tomatoes in the garden today. All the bending, shovelling, reaching, dragging, and walking – was followed with a few advils and some quiet time blogging! I am going to be sore tomorrow! Gardening is lovely but these annual planting days are absolutely exhausting.
The plants which were grown from seeds made the trip up to the cabin Friday night. The car was so full of soil and plants that we had to leave the cat at home this weekend.
The seedlings spent their first night in the greenhouse and then were potted in a variety of pots including fabric, plastic, and fibre. It is a year of experimentation. It will be interesting to see which pots, which tomatoes, which cucumbers, and which peppers we prefer – or at least which ones are successful.
After all the planting was completed the irrigation system was set up. We went for a drip irrigation set up and we are experimenting with two ten minute sessions per day to start. I have read that as the plants increase in size we may have to double that timeline. It can get quite hot in the greenhouse. We have seen the thermostat up to 50c but some days it is more in the 30c range. It is hard to say what the right amount of water will be when we are only here on weekends (and the occasional mid-week visit).
The greenhouse experience will be a season of learning. So far we are really excited to see how this experience goes for us. The optimism is palatable.